© Art work: Miet Warlop - Amusement Park / Photo: Michiel Devijver
Open call for a guest dramaturg in Vooruit
We imagine the role of the dramaturg as a mediator of the new, the other, the controversial, the difficult. The work of Vooruit’s dramaturg should thus be driven by a productive pleasure in the engagement with the unknown, intellectual curiosity, enthusiasm for analysis, and the open discussion with and on the subjects of artistic projects.
Vooruit looks for a sparring partner. Are you interested to have friendly arguments with us? Then please read further.
Vooruit is a central platform in a dense network of artists and organizations from a variety of sectors, inspired by a turbulent world and an always evolving world of the arts. With a contemporary vision for the future, Vooruit strengthens the cross-pollination between the arts and the local and global communities. We serve as a welcoming meeting place and as a lab for development, production, presentation, participation and reflection. We keep building on a past of innovation and social engagement.
What we expect from you
- We hope to meet a future colleague with an interest in artistic, social, political and philosophical issues who is capable of dealing with ethical questions responsibly.
- We hope to meet someone who brings new perspectives and points of view to our work.
- We search for a dramaturg with thorough knowledge of contemporary art practices at large (performing arts, music, literature, current affairs, philosophy, public space, a.o.).
- We look for someone with imagination, curiosity and sensitivity for artistic processes, who is able to handle a diverse range of interdisciplinary art forms.
- We look for a writer and thinker who can organise formats of reflection involving the team of Vooruit and external guests.
- We expect you to support the Vooruit team at large, and more particularly the extended artistic team, by means of content research and conceptual assistance.
- We look for an engaged and dynamic colleague, who is not afraid of the complex operations of a large art institution.
- We look for a constructive, critical mind that will challenge the institution and help it develop under the premise of supporting and promoting artistic practice.
- You will be mainly involved at the level of institutional work in the context of program conception and communication.
- You will also sporadically interact with Vooruit’s performing arts, music, literature and city residents (currently: Miet Warlop, Ontroerend Goed, Sachli Gholamalizad, Nadia Beugré, Hind Fraihi, Roman Hiele, N’kisi, Peter Aers, Lucinda Ra, Elly Van Eeghem, Maria Lucia Cruz Correia, Anoek Nuyens, Yinka Kuitenbrouwer, Alexander Vantournhout, Naomi Kerkhove) in order to help make their concerns publicly visible.
- You will support international guest curators throughout the development of their thematic programs for Vooruit.
- We expect you to have international experience in the arts or any other relevant sector.
What we do not expect from you
- We do not expect you to make programs at Vooruit. This is the responsibility of our artistic team. However, your input, both theoretical and practical, will help us shape the program together.
- We do not ask you to permanently be present at Vooruit. Though regular presence is important, we will provide reasonable means for you to circulate internationally if required.
- We do not expect you to already know everything about our organisation at this point.
- We do not expect you to be able to list all the different sorts of beer at the Vooruit bar by the end of the collaboration.
What you can expect from us
- We provide a stimulating work environment with a dynamic team in a unique location.
- We provide access to all necessary information regarding Vooruit, its history and its current missions.
- We provide a shared travel budget to attend relevant art-related conferences and festivals.
- We connect you to a rich network of artists and cultural workers in Flanders and beyond.
- We hope to bring you an enriching experience in a large and stimulating cultural institution.
- We will annoy you at times.
- A paid one-term visiting function for a 8 month period (end of September till the end of May).
- Work contract or freelance collaboration are possible.
- Vooruit takes the matter of diversity very seriously. The selection will be made based on qualification and regardless of nationality, age or gender.
- Candidates from abroad who are willing to relocate to Ghent are very welcome to apply.
- A very good written and spoken level of English is mandatory. Dutch is a plus.
- Work during evening hours and and on weekends is regularly required.
How to contact us
- If you are interested to enter into a conversation regarding the above, please send a motivation letter as well as a copy of your CV to Niek Verlinden: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deadline: 28th July 2017.
- We would like to take reasonable time to meet for interviews in the week of 28th August 2017.
- The position ideally starts in September 2017 but this is open to discussion.
- If you have further questions, we are available to exchange about the open call at this address: email@example.com.